Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sleep. Eat. Train. Repeat.

Yes, that is a common phrase within the triathlon community and it easily describes my life at the moment as I find myself towards the end of Kona prep week #1. With the increased volume and intensity, recovery is key between sessions and days. Naps are more frequent which I admitedly enjoy. Training is going well with lots of time in the saddle and on my legs running. Tuesdays are my "big" day with long ride and run off the bike. I started at 120 on the bike this week with an easy 11 miles controlled off the bike and will grow that over the next few weeks. Yesterday was my speed day for the run and on the tired legs from Tuesday it was a tough 5x1200 at sub 4:00/1200. I am also working the swim frequency and should be close to 24K this week. I enjoyed an easy ride early this morning, a solid swim with a few buddies and have an easy run over flat terrain this afternoon. Friday is my "moderately" long bike of 110 and another controlled run post. Saturdays are devoted to intensity on the bike and getting some hill work for the run. I will close out the week with my long run Sunday as well as a swim and easy spin. Should be fun to work the IM pacing on Sunday's run.

My focus is simply taking care of the little things (stretching, icing, nutrition, refueling, rest, etc.) and enjoying any downtime with a book or movie. I also find this type of training an excellent time to sharpen the mind and soul/spirit.

I want to send a shout out to my friends racing IM Canada and IM Louisville this weekend - make it happen & best wishes for a grand day!

Keep it smooth...

No comments: