Sunday, August 19, 2007

Bring on the Kona Build

My apologies for being negligent in posting any updates since the 5430 Half IM last weekend. It was a great race weekend with the Boulder Kids' Triathlon on Saturday and then the long course event Sunday. It is always a treat to race in Boulder and I had plenty of support on the course with my parents visiting and many friends taking in the action...thanks to everyone who was encouraging me along the way!! I had a PR for the 5430 Half IM course racing to a 4:09. The field was the most competitive I have seen for this event and we had rather friendly race conditions.

Monday following the race I made a trek up to Rocky Mountain National Park with my parents. It was so cool to drive the Trail Ridge Road and do a little hike along the Continental Divide. The scenery is absolutely stunning and we saw several herds of elk and big horn sheep. The weather was super with lots of sun, blue skies and at an elevation of 12,000 plus feet temps in the 60s...ah very refreshing :)

Tomorrow I start my official build for Kona. I am really psyched about the prep and putting in the work. It has been over a year since I did any IM-specific type work and I am hopeful for a healthy and strong go at it. My last few IM preps have been excellent with Zane commanding the ship and we will use a similar approach for Kona with some minor tweaks. There are numerous athletes also training for Kona here in Boulder and I will probably do some group work to spice it up a bit.

I have been invited to participate in a pilot program here in Boulder called Safe Routes to School (www.saferoutesinfo.org) which encourages kids to walk or ride their bikes to school. Monday afternoon is the kick-off day and I will be joined by several professional cyclists and runners to encourage the kids to be healthy & active. Rudy Project will be on-hand to provide some treats and the Boulder Fire Department will be distributing free bike helmets. On September 13th there is a festival for the kids who sign up for the program with a scavenger hunt, goodies and other schwag from sponsors. How cool!!

On the reading front, I just started a new book called Just One More Thing, Doc by Bradford Brown, DVM. It recounts some hilarious farm calls of this Maine veterinarian. A fun, light-hearted book that will be sure to keep you laughing.

Thanks for checking in & as always....

Keep it smooth...

No comments: