Thursday, August 17, 2006

Checking In...

As much as I've said to myself in the past, "Dude, you need to stay on top of updating your blog!" I once again have found myself neglecting it. Since my last post I've raced two half Ironman events - the Spirit of Racine which served as the US Pro Long Course Championships in Racine, WI and most recently the 5430 Half IM here in Boulder. Brief recap...Spirit of Racine was a wonderful weekend with my parents making the drive from MI to support me. We had ideal race weather all weekend. Swim was tough as I found myself solo for the 1.2 mile effort in the chop of Lake Michigan. Bike was steady, but nothing special. Run was speedy as I had the fastest run split of the day in 1:14 and ran my way to a podium finish. 3rd overall and able to take home some grocery money! 5430 Half - It's always nice to sleep in my own bed before a race. This was a rough day for me and my worst race of the season. Swim stunk, bike was flat and simply ran hard to save a little face posting the second fastest run behind the talented Aussie Craig Alexander. It was a rather frustrating day, but given the fact I was just coming off my peak volume week in preparation for IM Wisconsin, not too bad...always have to keep things in perspective.

I'm in my final "big" week building for Ironman Wisconsin on September 10th. All things considered it has gone very well. Some highlights have included a 30 mile run day (25 early am and another easy 5 late in the day), 150 mile bike session followed by a moderate 10 mile rurun, several bikes of 110-130 and some hearty swim sessions of 5-6K. My body has met the challenge. My mind...well let's just say there have been a fair amount of f-bombs being dropped on the roads of Boulder County! Really, it has all been good and I am very grateful for the gift of good health. With the taper just around the corner I will be sure to give an update - seriously for real!

Keep it smooth...

No comments: